Thursday, October 12, 2006

In which I ask, "Should I be allowed to speak?"

Current Condition: Disgustingly overcome with nasty allergies

Current Responsibility: Going to school, trying not to break into spasms of coughing, wheezing, tearing up like my date on prom night after I informed him that I was, indeed, a nice girl

Current Desire: A nice, hot bath followed by some good, deep sleep

Okay, so the desires and the responsibilities are pretty incompatible right now. In addition, I'm beginning to wish that I would just lose the power of speech at moments when I'm about to say something weird or socially awkward.

Example:

Yesterday in class, having left briefly for an attack of coughing, wheezing, (etc, etc), I came back knowing that I shouldn't talk. As in, if I did, I would just begin the coughing/wheezing/crying cycle all over again.

Apparently, my look said otherwise. Apparently, my look said, "I have much to say on this subject. " Which, in truth, I did. But, well, you know what because I just told you. I knew I shouldn't.

So, of course, I got called on. Of course.

"I don't really have anything specific to say. Nothing specific. At this time."

Yeah, that's my reply. I've become John Cusack in Say Anything when he's asked his plans for the future. I mean, really, that's pretty much my response when I'm asked my plans for the future, too, but that's another subject.

Professor seemed surprised, saying that I looked like I really had something to say.

"I'm really just hoping I don't start coughing again. I just thought, 'Shit. I can't talk for another hour.'"

Honestly. That's what I said.

So, I ask you, should I be allowed to speak? Should I just spend classtime hiding under my desk?

I'll leave it to you, dear reader, to decide.

No comments: