Tuesday, October 17, 2006

It's Fall...Let's COOK!

Having never lived in a place that had seasons, I still get a little giddy with all this Midwestern change of seasons type stuff. You know--leaves on the ground in fall, cherry blossoms blooming in spring--that kind of stuff.

So, earlier today, I decided to embrace the fall-ness that surrounds me by cooking a squash. You heard me. Cooking a squash. That's fall-like, right?

The other day I purchased an acorn squash, and I've been pretty eager to put that puppy in the oven (wow, that sounded terrible). Anyways, today's delivery of this month's Real Simple got me all the more eager to cook up the squash, brown sugar and clove style.

Please don't let the subscription to Real Simple fool you. I am not at all domestic. By that, I mean that I can bake, but I'm pretty much a trainwreck at any other household chores. I basically had to suspend any disbelief I had in my domestic capabilities to even attempt hacking into the little acorn squash.

With the squash split open and scooped out, I commenced seasoning, tenting with tin-foil, and placing in oven to bake at 400 for 45-60 minutes. (All while carrying on a conversation about the CCCCs selection process and bathroom graffiti. You envy my life now. Just admit it.)

A few peeks and pokes with the fork later and I was ready to scoop out some squash guts and started mashing, all while adding a little pinch of this and a little dash of that. Now for a little taste...and...BLEK!

I'm not sure if was the this or the that. Whichever it was, my beautiful little acorn squash was a disgusting bowl of squish when I got through with it. Horrible.

That said, I'm not deterred from giving squash another go. Afterall, it's fall, and I've just gotta cook!

No comments: