Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Good Book

A few weeks ago, I read a review of the book, Quaker Summer, by Lisa Samson. I thought it sounded good, so it stayed on my mind ever since then. And, because I'd been in the mood to read some fiction, I decided to pick it up the other day.

Now, the style of Samson's writing is really different than books I usually read. I don't mean that in a negative way, but she's very descriptive and is fond of metaphors and similes. Sometimes I didn't like her style and thought she got a little too fantastical in some of the storytelling.

BUT.

Oh, a big but. BUT, she takes on so many ideas and problems that it seems like most of us would rather shy away from. This novel takes on the issues of acquisitiveness, loss, ecuminism, religious splits, gossip, body image, relations between rich and poor, poverty, Christian responsibility, bullying, difficulties between liberal and conservative Christians. The list could go on. Seriously.

And, though Samson introduces all of these topics (and so many more), she's able to do so without seeming overly didactic. The reader is presented all of these topics through the struggles of a spiritual seeker, Heather, who, though a Christian, is trying to learn where she fits in and if she can reconcile her life of wealth with her calling as a Christian. That alone is reason enough to read this book because that question is a weighty one.

So, despite the fantastical turns of events, I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants a good read and who's thinking about similar questions.

Oh, the main character also makes cakes. And that's also reason enough to read it. I like books about people who make cakes, and I'm certain there aren't enough of them.

:)

Sara

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And, my dear, this is why you should review books professionally. You are complete in your evaluations, well rounded, honest, sincere, correct, objective, and you add that tidbit of personal humor and thought that sends one out to actually read the book you recommend.

Definitely.

Book reviews.

Who knew?!