Sunday, April 20, 2008

Small Something from a Sermon

Do you ever have it happen that what you remember of a song or movie or speech is maybe not what you were to have taken from it, really? But what you remember is some small something, maybe something said as an aside. Nothing important, nothing major. But something that just stood out for some reason.

Today in church I had that happen. Today in the middle of his sermon, the minister said,

"There's nothing I can do, except pray, which is really a lot."

I really liked that. I guess I liked it because I so often feel that there's very little that I can do to help things or change them or even to help people. I mean, I pray, but that often seems like so little.

And yet, that is probably the biggest thing I can do. To finally have the humility to admit that I, competent as I'd like to think I am, am just not as powerful as God, who can do all things. When I can do that, I guess it is really a lot.

Love,

Sara

No comments: