Friday, April 24, 2009

I'm Boring. But you knew that...

This week has been an interesting one for me. I've learned a lot about myself. Mainly, I have learned that I am the most boring person ever.

You should probably quit reading right now. Save yourselves; avert your attention; surf away from this blog!

Anyways, I just love how there are those certain moments when things seem so clear, when you realize that there is something that defines you. I am defined by how boring I am. I can accept that.

This realization came courtesy of one of my students. I'm having them do a research/position/proposal paper wherein they find a problem or issue, research it, present an argument about it, and then propose something that they could actually do to solve it. I'm totally excited about this project. We watched the movie Invisible Children, which if you haven't seen you must. Like right now. It is amazing. And perhaps even life changing.

So, I was talking to my students about their topics, and one student (who is very bright and quite a competent writer) asked, "Can we write about something less serious?" She said that the topics we'd discussed had been really serious, and she just wondered if it would be possible to do something a little less intense. Of course I said that wouldn't be a problem. I'm flexible.

But, as I stood there waiting for them to finish a freewrite, I was totally perplexed. it seriously never occurred to me that someone would even want to write about something less serious. I mean, I seriously could not wrap my mind around that concept. I mean, I will be the first (or maybe more like third or fourth) to tell you that there is a lot of beauty in this world, that people are so much better than you will ever anticipate, that there is a lot of good. I really do see the bright side. I promise! :) But I also know that there are so many problems that need intervention, that there are so many people who could accomplish so much in their lives and in their communities, if only they had the resources to do so. I mean, to me, I see or know of the poverty and sadness and all the ugliness that is in the world, and it makes me sad. I wish these things weren't there, but I am amazed at the awesome responsibility to help at those times when we have the opportunity to.

I guess I just can't imagine not wanting to tackle these sorts of problems because that's why we're here. Isn't it? It's those serious issues that need our attention, and sometimes we have the means to actually do something.

So, I'm boring. I guess I'll have to learn to live with that. It's really just interesting to think of how differently we view things. And, it reminds me that (even though I can be very stubborn) we really do need each other. We need to see how other people view the world. Maybe I could learn to look for the lighter or happier aspects of life if I could see it through her eyes for a while. Or maybe I would see things I would never expect. I'm guessing I would. Maybe borrowing a new set of eyes is a good idea for every once in a while! ;)

Oh, and I also learned that I'm boring today while at an appointment. I've had a headache for about 2 weeks now, and the headachiness started spreading down my back. So, I made my very first appointment with a chiropractor. Let me tell you. It was fantastic. Who knew a spine could pop that loudly? Amazing! And the chiropractor was really nice. But, anyways, after the adjustment (snap crackle pop), they hooked me up to these electrical thingies. This is when I realized that I'm boring. I was there, getting help because I'm in pain, and all I thought about was all the things I need to do. Papers to grade, fundraising for the orphanage, newsletter for the non-profit, supplies for El Salvador, the kids, physical therapy methods for our kids with MD. And did I mention that I work two jobs? Why oh why was I not just relaxing and enjoying the attention to my poor, achy muscles? Because I'm a boring almost-grownup. Seriously, Boring. When did this happen to me?

Oh, well. Turns out that I like working constantly. Weird. Turns out that I may become a type-A personality. Turns out that I might end up becoming assertive? Oh, yes, friends. These things are happening. Someone even called me "intense" the other day. Really? Me? Intense? Oh, say it ain't so!

Loves! Loves! Loves!

Sara

PS: Please forgive me for this self-indulgent post. I love you, people! God bless!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me translate:
Boring = Productive
Boring = Thoughtful
Boring = Purposeful
Boring = Real

You are most definitely one of the very least boring people I have EVER met EVER in my whole life. Trust me. I have never been bored for a single moment with you. Ever.

Speaking of which, I miss you! We need to get together - very soon! When are you free? Write, call, text me.

On another reason I wrote - I wanted to tell you that there is a book I think you should get because I think you will love it very much.
The Book of Common Prayer (1979 edition). Look it up - tell me what you think. They have excerpts on CBD.com.

And again, boring? No. Most definitely no. You do, however, bring a whole new meaning to the word quirky. And I love that. :)

sara said...

And you are a rockstar! But you knew that. ;) Thank you so very much. I am so blessed to know you! And I miss you too! We will remedy this. And soon...Classes are coming to an end as is job #2. Yay! So there will be celebrating! And relaxing! And crashing...

Okay, and your book rec, I have an older (I think) copy that I was taking out when I did stand & pray. I love it. Love it. Did I say that twice? Because I needed to. Love it. I will have to write about it sometime because it's just so nice to read from and pray with. It's lovely.

And, back to you. I have never been bored around you either. You are a firecracker! I'm going to be doing lots of traveling and other stuff this summer, but I'll also have some downtime...and I have plans to maybe even have some sort of party...after I return from building an orphanage. :)

Love!