Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Reading the Gospels. See, I really do read the Bible! ;)

The other day, I decided to start reading the Gospels. For some reason, I almost never read them. I usually find myself reading from the Old Testament, especially Psalms, or from Paul's epistles. I go to a Baptist church, so I suppose I need to keep up with Paul. And, though I'm not sure why, I just really love the Old Testament.

But, personal preferences aside and all, I thought I should really study the Gospels, get to know them better. Perhaps I decided that studying the Gospels would be good because I'm, well, Christian, and as such, it would probably be good for me to know more about, well, Christ. You see, I haven't spent years in school for absolutely nothing. I'm smart enough to eventually understand that Christians should know about Christ and that in order to do so they should probably read the Gospels. And did you know that the Gospels are the Good News? I'm just full of all sorts of information that any five year old in a decent Sunday School class should be able to tell you!

Well, anyways, as soon as I had this epiphany, I decided to get right to reading the Gospels. I'm starting with Matthew because it comes first. Usually I scorn convention, but I'm going to bring a little order to this endeavor. So, as I was reading, I got to the part about the baptism of Jesus. That's my favorite part. (Truth be told, I might have read this before.)

So, I was in my favorite part, and, just to be fair, I'll add the verses here:

13 Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan River. He wanted to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to stop him. He told Jesus, "I need to be baptized by you. So why do you come to me?"
15 Jesus replied, "Let it be this way for now. It is right for us to do this. It carries out God's holy plan." Then John agreed.

16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he came up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened. Jesus saw the Spirit of God coming down on him like a dove.

17 A voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, and I love him. I am very pleased with him."

I'm not sure why, but I find those verses one of the most amazing parts of the Bible. I say that about every part, but this time it's true. :)

Usually, when I've read these verses before, I've focused on the Spirit, on the dove. But, for some reason, as I read these verses the other night, I was thinking about John the Baptist. And I kept thinking about verses 14 and 15. I kept thinking of how unworthy John must have felt. But that he had to baptize Jesus, as that was part of "God's holy plan."

And I guess I couldn't help but think of how unable or unworthy we all feel at times, especially in doing those things we feel called to do. And, perhaps it's not just a feeling of unworthiness but a knowing that we are so far from righteous, a not understanding how someone like you or me could be a part of a holy plan. But I think we are.

Love,

Sara

Also, if you think about it, pray for my kids in El Salvador for our fundraising efforts. I'll be going there twice this summer, so I could use some prayers too. :)

1 comment:

Allen Skipper said...

God is good!