Thursday, January 31, 2008

Psalm 23

There are times when I wish I had a better memory. Specifically, I wish I could remember Bible verses better. It seems like, with all the time I spent in church, in Sunday School, in Christian school, at Christian summer camp, and as part of a youth group, I'd remember Bible verses better than I do. But I don't.

I guess this became apparent to me one day as I was trying to remember Psalm 23. For the life of me, I could hardly remember the whole chapter. This is unfortunate, because it's a beautiful chapter. Here it is:

Psalm 23

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

You know, I was able to remember part of that Psalm, but I kept coming back to one small part of it. "He restoreth my soul." I love that part. "He restoreth my soul." I think of it, and I just feel the possibility of a renewal of my mind and heart, of a real rebirth in the Spirit, of another chance when all hope seems gone.

"He restoreth my soul." Maybe that's all I needed to remember that day. Maybe my bad memory wasn't such a bad thing.

No comments: