Thursday, January 17, 2008

New Favorite Song

Over the last couple of days, I have been loving the song "When the Saints" by Sara Groves. And I don't just love it because she's also a Sara without an "h." Although that does make it even better.

Seriously, I love the song for its lyrics, its passion, its meaning. But I also love it because of the story behind it. The story of what most inspired this song and the CD can be found here. Just scroll down the page until you hit the Biography section, and, in it, you'll read the story of a young woman, Elisabeth.

When I read Elisabeth's story, I thought of how we often spend so much time in regret, so much time wishing that we hadn't done something or dreaming of what our lives would be like had we made some other choice. And, we spend a lot of time wishing that many things, things beyond our control, had not happened to us. And, so often we bear the scars of our bad choices and of the harmful actions of others.

It's hard to not do that, but I wonder what our lives would be like if we really believed Romans 8:28? What if we truly believed "that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose?" Could we, like Elisabeth, look back on even the most difficult times in our lives and see God in them, see that there may have been some purpose or reason for that time in our lives? Some way that we can let God work through us and turn those difficult times into good?

It's a difficult thing to do. We want so much to have perfect lives, to have done things the right way, to have never made the wrong choices, to have never been put into harmful and hurtful situations. And yet, without those times, what would we be like? How could we relate to others who had similar hurts? Could we be the comfort to them that we can now be if we had never known such hurt? Can we see those difficult times as experiences we cannot waste, as experiences that can make us people who can speak to the hurts of others?

Because I love it so much, I'll leave you with the lyrics to "When the Saints." If you haven't heard it yet, you really must. I promise you'll love it too. And, when you listen to it, think about Elisabeth's story; it will fill you with hope and faith.

"When the Saints"

Lord I have a heavy burden of all I've seen and know
It's more than I can handle
But your word is burning like a fire shut up in my bones
and I cannot let it go

And when I'm weary and overwrought
with so many battles left unfought

I think of Paul and Silas in the prison yard
I hear their song of freedom rising to the stars
And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them

Lord it's all that I can't carry and cannot leave behind
it often overwhelms me
but when I think of all who've gone before and lived the faithful life
their courage compells me
And when I'm weary and overwrought
with so many battles left unfought

I think of Paul and Silas in the prison yard
I hear their song of freedom rising to the stars

I see the shepherd Moses in the Pharaoh's court
I hear his call for freedom for the people of the Lord

And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them
And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them

I see the long quiet walk along the Underground Railroad
I see the slave awakening to the value of her soul

I see the young missionary and the angry spear
I see his family returning with no trace of fear

I see the long hard shadows of Calcutta nights
I see the sisters standing by the dying man's side

I see the young girl huddled on the brothel floor
I see the man with a passion come and kicking down the door

I see the man of sorrows and his long troubled road
I see the world on his shoulders and my easy load

And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I listened to the song and I find it absolutely wonderful - such a heavenly perspective. I Also went and listened to several other songs by Sara Groves, and they've been a great encouragement to me. Thank you for sharing it! I just found out that she will come to Chicago for Moody Founder's Week in Feb. Wanna go? :)

God bless you,
ligia

sara said...

I really love that song too. That whole cd is really, really good, and her style is really nice. "Love is still a worthy cause," "Song for my Sons," and "I saw what I saw" are my three other favorites from the cd. "Love is still a worthy cause" is definitely worth listening to!

Sara Groves does work with a group called International Justice Mission, and they seem really cool.

I do want to see her, but I'm not sure about the date and time. We'll have to talk!

see you!

Jim Baker said...

That's a wonderful interpretation of what "When The Saints" is saying. That song is another one of Sara Groves' amazing and insightful lyrics! I say "another one" because just about everything she writes is pretty amazing. If anyone is unsure about seeing Sara Groves live or getting her records then your writing should definitely motivate them to go do it ASAP. If you are interested in talking about Sara’s music and projects with other friends and fans of hers then go over to the Sara Groves Yahoo Group at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/saragroves/ and Join the Group. It’s been a quiet group, but hopefully that is changing as more people with thoughts like yours join up.

sara said...

oh, thank you for your comment! i had never really listened to sara groves until very recently, and i've really loved everything i've heard. she is such a gifted writer, and her music is the kind you can listen to again and again and not tire of. it always seems to have some new truth or idea you might not have thought of before. again, thanks so much for your comment!