Saturday, January 26, 2008

The 100th Post

Well, here I am. My 100th post. This feels like some sort of milestone. I mean, not a really big one like getting my first car or graduating college or finding my favorite seven-pound dog at the animal shelter. But, a milestone.

I once read that for the 100th post you're supposed to write 100 things about yourself. That seems a bit too time consuming for me and much too boring for all of you, Greta especially. She's not much of a reader. She's more of a napper.

So, instead of 100 things about myself, I'll go ten. Ten things that mean a lot to me right now or just made me smile as of late. Ten things, random and off the top of my head, that I think are pretty neat. Here they are!

1. The other day, as I was going up the stairs from the Undergraduate Library to the Main Library, I looked out the window and noticed a place where snow had fallen through a grate and just collected there. It reminded me of the verse in Job where God is speaking to Job and says,

"Have you entered the storehouses of the snow or seen the storehouses of the hail"

It made me smile to think of the storehouses of snow and to see this little collection of snow.

2. Starting next week, I'll be a volunteer at a local pregnancy center. I'm really excited about this. I'm actually going to be a counselor of sorts, so pray for me. No, really. Do pray for me. I'm guessing that this position will be really rewarding, but I know it's going to be tough.

3. Last night before bed I was reading part of Psalm 119. I've never actually read it before, even though I was assigned to read it in elementary school. I guess now's as good a time to confess as ever. But, I'm glad I have started reading it because it's an amazing Psalm. So far, my favorite part of the Psalm is Lamedh:

"89 Your word, O LORD, is eternal;
it stands firm in the heavens.

90 Your faithfulness continues through all generations;
you established the earth, and it endures.

91 Your laws endure to this day,
for all things serve you.

92 If your law had not been my delight,
I would have perished in my affliction.

93 I will never forget your precepts,
for by them you have preserved my life.

94 Save me, for I am yours;
I have sought out your precepts.

95 The wicked are waiting to destroy me,
but I will ponder your statutes.

96 To all perfection I see a limit;
but your commands are boundless."

It's just so beautiful and true and good. I really love it. I hope you love it too!

4. The Screwtape Letters. That's pretty much all I need to say. Oh, I'll write more about the book later. I'm not quite finished with it. But, it is an amazing, amazing book. I highly recommend it. Highly.

5. I'm pretty much addicted to Confessions of a Pioneer Woman and The Pioneer Woman Cooks. Seriously. She's funny and great. And her recipes are simple and tasty. If you were around our house at Christmas, you might have had some of her Best Chocolate Sheet Cake Ever. It seriously is the best ever!

6. I joined a Bible Study at my church. It's a small group for ladies, and we're talking about freedom in Christ. It's a nice group of ladies, and the topic is fantastic.

7. I love this quote from St. Augustine:

"You are great, O Lord, and greatly to be praised: great is your power and your wisdom is without measure. And man, so small a part of your creation, wants to praise you: this man, though clothed with mortality and bearing the evidence of sin and the proof that you withstand the proud. Despite everything, man, though but a small a part of your creation, wants to praise you. You yourself encourage him to delight in your praise, for you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."

I added the italics. That's my favorite part. It makes me smile.

8. I really like Sara Groves and Phil Wickham. In all honesty, I never, ever thought I'd really like Christian music, but those two (as well as many others) are actually good. I mean, it's actually good music, and I like it, and it makes me feel calm and happy.

9. I love this verse. It's Galatians 1:10:

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

It's something I like to think about. Who am I living for? Who am I trying to please or impress? Whose favor am I trying to win? Whose will am I following? Whose laws do I value? Really, we've only got one shot here on earth, so we might as well live it for the One who gave us life, hope, and salvation.

On a lighter note, I think of this when I'm in my car singing along to Sara Groves. I figure it's okay if the people in the car next to me look over and smile. I might as well keep singing.

10. I love anyone who read this whole fairly self-indulgent blog! Oh well, anyone who even accidentally stumbled onto this blog and then quickly left it. I love you just as much as the people who read the whole thing! Really, I do.

Love,

Sara

4 comments:

dlyn said...

A lovely "10" to mark your 100th post. Very nice and interesting blog - I will be back to check it out some more!

sara said...

Thank you so much!

Jim Baker said...

You've scored 10X10 with your 100th post! Thanks for the links to the Pioneer Woman, especially Cooks. I'll pass them on to my wife.

I too never figured I would like Christian music. I am a folk, jazz and classic rock and roller and had always turned the dial past the contemporary Christian music channels. Then by luck (God's Plan?) my wife heard a radio interview about 4 years ago with Robin Mark about an iWhorship concert that she thought sounded interesting. That was the first time we heard Sara Groves and she became one our favorite musicians. Through Sara we found out about Phil Wickham, Christopher Williams, Derek Webb, Charlie Peacock, Bebo Norman, Jennifer Knapp, Sandra McCracken, Jill Phillips, Karen Fisher and Christopher Peters (to name several). Plus learned about World Vision and International Justice Ministries.

I suppose you could say we found out about them through Robin Mark, but we've only seen him once and we've seen Sara at least 5 times.

If you are interested in talking about Sara’s music and her projects with other friends and fans of hers then go over to the Sara Groves Yahoo Group at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/saragroves/ and Join the Group. It’s been a quiet group so far, but hopefully that is changing as more people with thoughts like yours join up.

May God bless your desire to grow in your relationship with Him.

BTW, my wife has just started volunteering as an RN at a pregnancy center. I'll pray for your work as I pray for hers.

sara said...

Thank you for your comments and for your prayers!

Your wife will love the Pioneer Woman sites. A friend of mine told me about them, and they've been a favorite of mine ever since!

About Christian music, I listened to it when I was a kid, but, as I got older, it just wasn't "cool" enough to listen to. Oh well! Butnow I've seen there are a lot of really good artists, and it's really uplifting to listen to. Thanks for the list of artists you like!