Wednesday, January 23, 2008

High Fidelity

There was a time when I went on a carb-free diet. I ate a lot of cheese and meat and a smattering of vegetables. But absolutely no bread or sugar came anywhere near my mouth. On the upside, I lost a ton of weight in almost no time. But it was miserable. It was miserable because I absolutely love bread. In fact, there are few things that I like more than a nice chunk of tasty bread with maybe a little cheese, preferably something blue or smoky, to go with it.

My favorite bread is challah. It's dense but still soft in texture, a little sweet but nothing overpowering. And, because it's braided, a loaf of challah just looks beautiful.

Over the break, I learned to make challah. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I had a good recipe to follow, and it even gave me pictures to illustrate the whole process of braiding. But, even though it wasn't too difficult and even though the instructions were very clear, there was still some mystery to the whole process of making bread. I had to mix together all of these simple ingredients--eggs, water, oil, yeast, honey, flour--and expect that, simple as these things are, they would be transformed into a beautiful loaf of challah.

It seemed a little far-fetched to believe it could happen, and my patience and faith in the recipe were, of course, put to the test while I waited for the bread to rise. But it did rise, puffed up by yeast, only to be punched down, reworked, cut into four pieces, braided, coated with an egg wash, and placed in the oven. And, all of those simple ingredients really did transform into a loaf of challah.

The whole process is a bit of a mystery to me. I mean, there's a good explanation of the process of making bread, something that makes sense of how the yeast reacts to the heat and the moisture. But, making bread requires a bit of faith and a bit of patience. It requires careful consideration and attention to the weather, the humidity, the heat of the room. None of these things can be left to chance or the ingredients won't become what they're intended to be. If the dough is too sticky or too dry, it's difficult to braid, and then the beauty of the challah is lost, because it's in those confusing braided knots that the bread has its densest texture and its real aesthetic.

Even though I can appreciate the mystery of bread making, I'm not generally one who loves mystery. I like to understand things, to know the answer to things, right now. Sometimes this is a negative trait. I sometimes try, almost compulsively, to make sense of things, to understand things even when there is no ready explanation. This is a very difficult trait to deal with when one is thinking about God, and it was a trait that became apparent as I sensed that God was trying to get my attention.

When I say that I wasn't happy about returning to Christianity, I'm not lying. I was confused about what it meant to be a Christian, and I wasn't really sure I wanted to be one. I mean, I wasn't sure that I wanted to be one of those Christians for whom Christianity actually meant something, one of those Christians who really believed it all. There was a conversation that played in my head. Sometimes it was a conversation with God; sometimes it was a conversation with myself. But, it went something like this:

"Fine, I'll be a Christian. I'll stop doing whatever God says I shouldn't do. I'll start going to church. I'll pray. I'll believe in God, in Jesus, in the Holy Spirit. I'll say and actually believe the Apostles' Creed. I'll do all of those things, but I'm not going to believe that."

Whatever that was would change, depending on whatever it was that didn't make sense to me or whatever it was that I felt particularly strong about at the moment. That was not just one but many different things. That came up more than once. That came up a lot.

That, whatever it was, had formed a strong barrier around my heart, and it was working very hard to only let in those things which made sense to me, sense as I had understood it for so long. But, there must have been some cracks in this barrier. Because, as I began to pray and read my Bible and talk to other people (like those Christians who actually believed this stuff), that came to make less sense to me than God's Word.

And, somewhere along the way, I learned that I was believing all this stuff, not because I felt obligated to out of fear, but because I felt compelled to out of love. As Donald Miller writes in Searching for God Knows What:

"Jesus was always, and I mean always, talking about love, about people, about relationships, and He never broke anything into steps or formulas. What if, because we were constantly trying to dissect His message, we were missing a blatant invitation? I began to wonder if becoming a Christian did not work more like falling in love than agreeing with a list if true principles...What if the gospel of Jesus was an invitation to know God?" (46).

I love how he writes this because, though I really believe in those true principles, they don't make sense to me out of the context of love. And, when I found a love for God and a love for Jesus, I finally found a love for His true principles. The conversation in my head continued, but my protests were answered with, well, truth. I came to see God's love for me, for all of us, in His rules. And, when I started to see it as love, He started to show me answers. It's as if I, puffed up with all my understanding and intellect, would refuse to believe, only to be punched down and reworked. Allowed to become that which I was intended to be.

And, I think that is the mystery that we can't understand until we somehow find that love or, perhaps, allow ourselves to feel that love, to let that love come through the cracks in the barriers that guard our hearts. Because, when I felt that love, I didn't feel as if I was following a set of rules or believing a set of principles that had no purpose or made no sense. It felt more like accepting the mystery of God and His Word and asking Him to explain who He is to me, rather than me trying to tell Him who He is or trying to lean on my own understanding.

It seems that when we make it through the mystery, through the confusing times, while still holding onto a faith that God is true and faithful to His Word, that we move closer to really loving Him. We begin to understand that those confusing times contain the greatest joy of discovery, the greatest depth of truth. Sometimes it is when we hold onto faith through those most confusing times that we really learn to be faithful to a God who always will be faithful to us.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that's beautiful: "It's as if I, puffed up with all my understanding and intellect, would refuse to believe, only to be punched down and reworked. Allowed to become that which I was intended to be."

Beautiful.

Nicole had the baby on Monday night. Emergency c-section. She's beautiful - Keona Elizabeth. And healthy. Yay!

Sorry I've become the worst blogger and friend and phone conversationalist in the world lately. My life has been going on more in my head than in the real world - or maybe the real world has trapped me in some version that isn't quite fitting in my head - either way, it's been nutty and I've been nutty, so I've completely failed at writing and reading and listening and talking and all other normal things I do usually. And it's been cold, wet, and gray - for many days on end now. I think that puts a damper on my brain functionality. Seriously. But I'm starting to get a grip again - I think. Call me soon - or I'll call you.

I'm glad you're writing - it's good stuff. I need to read it. And I'm so glad you shared that quote from Donald Miller b/c that was EXACTLY what I was questioning as I was reading the beginning of your post - but for my own self - "I began to wonder if becoming a Christian did not work more like falling in love than agreeing with a list if true principles...What if the gospel of Jesus was an invitation to know God?" I think I want most to know that that is really true b/c if so, I can live with that, but if it's really all about principles and not real life, not real people, not real relationships where people hurt, bleed, rejoice, laugh, cry, and FEEL, then I see no point in it at all.

Your thoughts?

sara said...

That's so exciting about Nicole! And, I love that you say "Call me soon-or I'll call you." That sounds like a threat! ;)

I understand the effects of cold, gray, wet weather. Believe me. Perhaps I understand it a little too much...I think it's hard to feel like yourself when the weather is sad. Fortunately, the cold weather here has somehow been combined with pretty skies, so it hasn't been too terrible.

So, of course I think that the Gospel of Christ is for real live people who feel all sorts of emotions and have all sorts of shortcomings. If you think about the people Jesus ministered to, you have to see that He specifically visited those who were in pain, physical pain or emotional pain, the pain of poverty and ill health. Those were the people Jesus sought out and healed. Not just made better, but actually HEALED. I mean, we're talking about the woman at the well, lepers, the blind, the paralyzed, the demon possessed. People with serious problem.

And, those weren't the people who Jesus took a little time to help if He had the time. Those are the people we hear about all through the Gospels. Those are the people whose lives He was touching. If the Gospel of Jesus was not meant for the broken, the hurting, the people who have, in a sense, been run over by life, I'm not sure why Jesus would have spent so much time ministering to those people.

At the same time, Jesus was speaking about principles; He was upholding principles. But, I think His invitation to us is to allow the Holy Spirit to minister to our hearts and to help us do those things which we cannot possibly do ourselves, to create in our hearts and minds a new renewal. One of my favorite stories from Lauren Winner's Girl Meets God is the story of her conversion to the Anglican Church. There was a list of questions to be read to her before her baptism, questions about belief in God and Jesus and all manner of spiritual stuff. :) And, she was to answer "Yes" or "I do" to each of these questions. While discussing the process with her minister, Winner breaks down and admits that most of thise doesn't make any sense to her much of the time, that her faith seemed so incredibly small. She felt as if she couldn't answer all of these questions because, well, our feelings waver, and sometimes our faith makes little sense, right? The minister offered Winner and alternate answer to the questions. That answer was, essentially, "I will, with God's help."

I know that probably sounds like taking the easy way out, and we might say that she had no faith if she couldn't just answer the questions with a straight-up "Yes." But, I think that the alternate answer is the answer that God gives us. Through Jesus and the Holy Spirit, we are none of us alone in this. We always have a greater strength to see us through everything.

So, do I think there's a set of principles? Yes, of course. But I also think that our goal as Christians is to know God through Jesus. Am I always good at following the principles or with getting to know God? Not really, but, with God's help, I try.

Does that make sense at all? :) It's ok if it doesn't. It's morning, and my brain hasn't gotten up yet! ;)

Unknown said...

I think we just need to understand God better - He gives us relationship FIRST, and THEN hands out His principles. People want LIFE most, and so it's no surprise that Jesus would spend a great deal of time speaking about how to really live life - and do so well. But it seems that in modern Christianity, it has become no longer a way to live life, but rather a Pharisaical set of rules to follow b/c then you LOOK good even if you AREN'T actually good. I guess this is why I get tired of Christianity - all the rules, principles, moral standards to uphold, etc. I have to live in the real world. I want someone who can do that with me. If I hurt, can he hang with me? If I cry, will his heart cry too? If I rejoice, will a smile light up his countenance? If I laugh, will he delight in the sound of it on the wind? If I sit in awe of something beautiful, will he sit with me or insist upon breaking the silence with words that take away from my experience? I just want someone to truly BE with me in my life experiences b/c that's never really happened in my world. It's like people are always saying that we have to get into God's reality, while avoiding, ignoring, falsifying, denying, etc. our own existence for what it really is. Isn't there a place where the two coincide? Surely God didn't give me emotions only for me to ignore them, hide them, reroute them, or force them aside continually for a lifetime, did He?

I'm looking for that medium that John Piper describes in his "Don't Waste Your Life" book about how God's glory and Man's Happiness collide. Somehow in both being present, each are ultimately fulfilled and neither at the sacrifice of the other. THAT's what I want.

sara said...

Okay, I've been reading The Screwtape Letters, and I thought you'd like this quote. I'm guessing you've read the book, but, if you haven't it's a book made up of letters from one demon to another demon. The letters are basically advice on how to cause a man to sin and to lose interest in Christianity. Here's the quote:

"The earliest converts were converted by a single historical fact (the Resurrection) and a single theological doctrine (the Redemption) operating on a sense of sin which they already had--and sin, not against some new fancy-dress law produced as a novelty by a 'great man,' but against the old, platitudinous, universal moral law which they had been taught by their nurses and mothers."

Unknown said...

Yes I have read it - I don't recall now if I finished it or not. It's been a couple years or more, and life has been crazyy in that swing time. I will read it again. I recall enjoying it the first time around.

sara said...

Well, read with caution! :)