Monday, October 15, 2007

Plenty to go Around

Yesterday, I made a big pot of beans and a pan of cornbread. It was the first time in my life I'd made this meal, and, being a Texan, the fact that I'd gone 29 years without making a big pot of beans and a pan of cornbread was nothing short of inexcusable. Because I'd grown up with that meal, I knew there was nothing more comforting than sitting down to a bowl of beans and a piece of buttered cornbread.

So, if I knew how comforting it was, why on earth did it take me 29 years to make it? Well, part of it is that I don't really cook. And, a big part of my not cooking is that it's no fun to cook for one person. It's a lot of work, and, at the end of all that work, there's nobody to look at you and tell you how tasty it is. I've got plenty of other good reasons not to cook. I'd always thought I'd cook when I had people to cook for. I'd cook when I had a nicer kitchen. I'd cook when I had better pots and pans. I'd cook when I had more time.

In short, I was waiting until the conditions were right. But, think about this. I was waiting until all the conditions were right before I allowed myself to do something I really wanted to do, before I allowed myself to have the life I wanted.

And, the thing is, it wasn't just cooking. I was waiting until conditions were right before I became a regular church attendee, waiting to become a volunteer, waiting on having people over for dinner. These were all things I thought might be good and even fun to do, but I kept waiting on them as if they had to be done at a certain time. Unfortunately, I was also waiting on them because they didn't seem important enough to start doing right now, as if my life right now wasn't important enough to really live. It just makes me wonder how much of our lives are spent waiting, and I wonder how many things we miss out on because of that.

A few months ago, I went to New York for a conference. As an added bonus, I got to catch up with some friends from grad school. In between discussion of rock bands from the 1980's, my friend Brad always has smart things to say. He's a rhetorician, so that's sort of his job.

Anyways, he was talking about the John Mayer song, "Waiting on the World to Change." I'm not a huge fan of John Mayer, but Brad wasn't concerned about the song's musical merit. Rather, he was concerned about its message. You see, the basic message of the song is that the world is really messed up by all sorts of problems and things we can't control. The solution? We're waiting on the world to change.

I hadn't really listened to the song closely, just enough to know that it's actually pretty catchy. But, the more I thought about it, the more I thought Brad had reason to worry about the popularity of that song. You see, the problem is that change doesn't happen if all we do is sit back, accept the circumstances, and wait for change to come. This is true of problems in the world and problems in our lives. If we want change to happen, we have to make it happen, and when we stop waiting for change and start making changes, it's surprising the things that can happen, the things we can learn.

I've seen this happen in my own life. For years, I thought I wasn't a Bible Study person. In truth, I wasn't even much of a church person. I really only liked churches with a strict liturgy because they kept religion nice and distant; I didn't have to worry about all that "relationship" stuff I'd heard people talking about. I was too smart to actually need God to be a part of my life. It was enough that I occasionally showed up at church to take part in some service that made me feel good but didn't challenge me to wonder if I had any right to feel as good as I did.

But, eventually, I got over my ego and went to Bible Study. I say "ego" because it was really nothing but stubborness, selfishness, and pride. I went there because I finally knew I needed God, needed Him so much that I thought I might lose everything, including my mind, if I didn't start looking for Him. So, I went to the Baptist church for Bible Study.

Sure, it was a blow to my pride to show up at a Baptist church in need. I felt like all those poor souls I'd listened to giving their testimonies over all those years I'd spent in Baptist churches. And, it doesn't make you feel very proud to know that, because of your need, you're in the company of people who've lived through all manner of horror in their lives. It's hard to feel proud when you're in need, but I was. But, the thing is, in going to Bible Study, I've learned a lot while in the company of some of the sweetest ladies you'll ever meet.

I've learned that religion isn't as important as relationship. It's something I have to remind myself of all the time, but it's starting to make sense. And, when I started to seek a relationship with God, the focus of my attention changed. I lost focus on all the things my life lacked, and I started to see how much I'd been given. Instead of focusing on how God could help me, I started wondering how He could use me to help others. I began to understand the truth of Luke 12:48,

"For unto whom much is given: of him shall be much required."

All that I have, all those things of which I've been so proud, are gifts that should be used in a way that will honor the Giver. Wouldn't it honor the Giver more if I stopped seeing those gifts as things that should bring glory only to me? Wouldn't it honor the Giver more if I quit waiting for the right circumstances to use my gifts?

When you're given a gift, you don't wait to use it. You want to use it right away. And, the gratitude you have for the gift shows the Giver that you're happy with what you have, not that you're concentrating on what you don't have. At some point, we all must choose to use our gifts, despite the circumstances we're in. We must create the change we wish to see in our world and in our lives. We have to do those things, both simple and difficult, as if the doing of all things will give honor and glory to the One who has given us so much.

We shouldn't worry that our gifts are not enough, that our lives are not enough as they are. Just like my big pot of beans, there is plenty to go around, and there are sure to be leftovers because God never stops giving. Living our lives as fully and gloriously as we can, even in the hard times, can be that thing which gives our lives meaning and hopefully the comfort that we all crave. It's a wonder that we wait to do this.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you may be so much farther along in your relationship with God than me. I am still struggling with the relationship instead of knowledge idea. I think I really need to NEED God. I wish I knew how to be real with myself and Him about that.

sara said...

We should totally turn this into a contest. Winner gets to go to heaven! After all, the way is narrow! :)

I'm completely joking, of course. But, I think it's just a tough thing to distinguish between knowledge and relationship. It's easier to feel a need for God when your circumstances make that need really apparent...like when you live in the middle of a cornfield, as I do! :)

But, I think we can't overlook how important knowledge is. After all, we'd like to think that cultivating a relationship with God should be somewhat similar to cultivating our other relationships. But, it's really not. I mean, I respect other people, but I don't (and really shouldn't) have the same sort of reverence for them that I have for God. So, it's just not the same because it really can't be.

I hope I make some sense (please oh please oh please)! If not, I will try to make better sense.

But, really, I'm not sure I'm all that far along. Most of the time I just hope that I don't end up hearing, "I never knew you; depart from me." Because, in truth, I'm going to look really stupid trying to argue my way into heaven by reminding Jesus that once upon a time I wrote a blog. I mean, I'll try it, but I will look really stupid doing it!

Unknown said...

You're so funny...

Once upon a time there were two women - each of whom wrote a blog. Hoping God might be blog addicts like them, they posted regularly about their struggles to reach and love Him as He so desired (or at least required ;P). They died timely deaths - each within seconds of the other. Upon reaching the pearly gates, St. Peter asked the women, "Under which name do you request entrance into heaven?" "Why, Jesus, of course." they both replied. St. Peter studied them a moment, then said, "Oh! That's right. You ladies are those bloggity chicks still trying to find your way into heaven. Yeah - um - here's the thing. God doesn't actually know y'all, but He does read your blogs. Good work. He finds it quite introspective. But I'm still not gonna be able to let you in... yeah, sorry about that." Sadly, the two women turned away from the pearly gates. After a backwards glance, they turned to one another and said, "Well, at least now we know it's real!"
The End

Unknown said...

Oh yeah - and with the way my waist is going these days (not to mention my rear end and hips and thighs), we're definitely not gonna be able to fit thru together! If entrance is based on exercise requirements, you've definitely got me beat. I can't WALK 2 miles much less jog!!!

In all seriousness, i think you are totally right. It is much easier to sense your need for God when you are acutely aware of it due to circumstances. Pain, loneliness, troubles, etc. - not so bad afterall. I had such a greater sense of my need for Him at different times in PA than I do right now. But I also think there has to come a time when, while we are aware of our need for Him, we also are stable enough to maintain a real life relationship with Him that isn't just based on desperation.

ok - we'll just have to talk b/c seriously, i could write all day and not get it all out!!! ;P