Thursday, October 04, 2007

On My Run Tonight

I went for a run tonight. For the record, whenever I say "run," you should probably insert the word "jog," if you're particular about accuracy. In truth, what I do is more akin to a slow jog, but it still feels great.

There's just something about pushing yourself to run a little further, to work a little harder. It feels good. Tonight I ran a little under three miles. It's nothing spectacular, but it makes me feel good to know that I can do that; it makes me feel good to know that I could do even more than that if I worked really hard at it.

And, I especially like running because it gives you a chance to see things a little more slowly than you do in a car, to notice things you might otherwise miss. Like tonight, I was jogging on a busy street in town, and I got to really see the houses that I drive past everyday. I saw the custard place, and perhaps I thought about how tasty custard is and how easy it would be to run through the drive-through.

But then I spotted something that took me by surprise. Right there, on a busy street in front of someone's house, was a pumpkin patch. That's right. As I ran by, I spotted a little pumpkin growing next to the sidewalk and then a little pumpkin next to the house. Imagine that.

This probably sounds goofy, but I was pretty amazed at the little pumpkin patch. And, I couldn't help but think how hopeful it is to spot a little pumpkin patch where you'd least expect it.

But isn't that how things so often happen? Things grow where we least expect them to. Perhaps we should keep that in mind and remember to never lose hope that we might find growth in unexpected places.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that! I wish i was there now to see the pumpkin patch. In fact, i wish I had grown my own pumpkin patch. (I'm having a semi-love affair with pumpkins recently.) This post has only served to further my lustfulness. Thank you for that... ;)

sara said...

And, there was a bunny hopping past the pumpkin patch. It was possibly the cutest thing ever to see a bunny hopping past a pumpkin patch!

Unknown said...

Awwww... like real live Peter Cottontail. How adorable.