Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Burrito Fast

There is nothing in the world that I love more than a good burrito. Nothing. Not a delicious plate of pasta, not a gooey brownie, not my dog, not my family. Well, perhaps I love my dog and my family more than a good burrito, but it's tough call.

I mean, there's nothing quite like a good burrito. Even a bad burrito isn't that bad. Consider the burrito with me for a bit. It's an entire meal wrapped in a tortilla. How brilliant is that? You've got meat, veggies, beans, and rice all right there. And they're delicious. Personally, I like a good steak burrito. A few years ago I had this great idea for cajun burritos. I never actually made one, but I thought it would be fun to have a restaurant that specialized in them. Which reminds me. My love of burritos actually led me to a career as a burrito roller. That's right. For one year, I worked at Freebird's World Burrito, original location. By the end of that year, I resembled a burrito, but I still remain a fan.

But all that burrito love has to go on hold because I decided to take a burrito fast for one year. One year with no burritos. I know it sounds weird, and I'm even willing to admit it's weird. The thing is, I started thinking about fasting about a month ago, and I wondered what was something that I felt I couldn't get along without, something that I loved so much that I would actually miss it if I had to stop eating it. Burritos were the obvious choice.

The thing is, I like the idea of a burrito fast because burritos are the one food that I can get here in the Midwest that reminds me of home. So, not eating burritos is a good way of forcing myself to accept that this is where I live now, and, each time I think about eating a burrito, it gives me a good opportunity to remind myself that, even when I am not in Texas, I'm always home and never alone.

So, odd as it is, the burrito fast goes on. Perhaps I'll tackle caffeine next...or maybe not!

No comments: