Sunday, September 02, 2007

Academia

So...the fact that I constantly examine my place in academia will not come as any surprise to my faithful readers (ok, reader singular. thanks for reading, greta. you're the best!). But I do question it because questioning is what I do. Sometimes with the hope of answering the question but often knowing there's no hope of answering the question.

But, lately, I'm not questioning my place in academia so much as I'm just questioning academia. I'm just wondering if we ever actually listen to ourselves talk. What are we talking about? Does any of it make or really work toward any ultimate good? And, if it doesn't oughtn't we start doing those things or at least working toward them? And, tangentially related but also totally off topic, why don't we hear the word "selfish" very often anymore? I'm not sure, but I think it's a word we need to focus on. It's a word we need to consider in all our interactions because it's a word we easily forget, to disastrous consequence.

Perhaps these aren't good questions. I certainly haven't worked on formulating them, mainly because I've been taking care of my readership...the as-of-late very needy greta.

No comments: