Saturday, January 24, 2009

Simple Sandwich

Anyone who knows me well knows that I love a good chicken sandwich. In fact, my love of the chicken sandwich is probably the most boring thing about me because I will order one whenever I'm at a restaurant that has a good one. Like clockwork. Like dull, boring, predictable clockwork. It's been a favorite of mine since I was a kid and my family would go to dinner at Oxford Street. A friend of the family used to tease me about getting a chicken sandwich at a steakhouse, but, to me, the chicken sandwich was that tastiest thing I'd ever encountered. Well, that and the 500 Shirley Temples I'd order at dinner.

For me, a restaurant chicken sandwich should have the following:

Warm, not overly seasoned chicken breast
Melted cheese (preferably a white cheese)
Bacon
Lettuce
Occasionally Onions
And (the clincher) Mayonnaise

Put all of that on a tasty bun, and you have the perfect chicken sandwich. And if there are fries on the side, oh heavens! I just pepper my ketchup until it's almost completely black and then enjoy. Oh, how I love pepper and ketchup. If you've never had that combination, you're missing out. It's the only way to eat ketchup.

The problem with my favorite sandwich is that it's totally unhealthy. That, and I'd rather not spend a ton of money on eating at restaurants. Oh, and there is no more Oxford Street. Sadness.

So, I started making a yummy, simple sandwich the other day, and I love it. Here goes:

Toasted bread (I like it healthy, so whole grain)
Sliced chicken breast
A bit of Swiss cheese
And (Oh, heavens, this is the best part!) Smashed Avocado (I told you! Amazing!)

So, I started making that the other day, and I love it. It's simple and good. Today I opted to heat up the chicken and cheese so that it was all hot and melty. Yum!

I probably have no future as a cook, but this is a step in the right direction! ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I was hoping for something really spiritual that I could sink my teeth into. Instead I got a sandwich. OK. So, it's not pupusas, but that's all right.

Saludes from your many friends in ES. How they do miss Sada y Tutan y Maegan! Javi had his usual meltdown (speaking of something melty) about 9 p.m. A ride in the Explorer with Mami y Papi fixed everything. And how they do love you! Saludes a Sara! Quien sabe?

Te amo, me hija, y tambien todos los ninos de Jehova Jireh. Hasta manana!
tu mama

sara said...

Brother Lawrence said that he felt as close to God in his kitchen as he did in the church. So, sandwiches can be spiritual...kind of.

Javi loves to have meltdowns. Pobre Javi! He just refuses to take naps, and he's too little to get through the day without them. Que lastima! I so miss the kids! I'm jealous you're there.

Hasta manana!