Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Beauty

I love it when a good song gets stuck in my head, when a few good lyrics just keep coming to mind. That rarely happens, right? It's usually the song you hate that won't ever leave your mind. But there are times, wonderful times, when you keep thinking of a song you actually like.

Lately, I've had a few lines of a Sara Groves song stuck in my head. The lines are:

"And I want to add to the beauty
To tell a better story
I want to shine with the light
That's burning up inside"

Part of the reason they're stuck in my head is that they're really nicely sung, and I love to sing. But part of the reason they're stuck in my head is that they're how I feel. You know, they remind me of part of 1 John:

"1That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. 2The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. 3We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. 4We write this to make our joy complete."

I added the italics because I love that verse. "We write this to make our joy complete."

I guess I love it because that's why I write. And maybe that's why I love the lines of that song, because I want to add to the beauty, because I want to understand and tell about the beauty that I've seen. The beauty in which there is light, and no darkness.

Sometimes getting lyrics stuck in your head isn't such a bad thing. Sometimes those lyrics explain a greater truth.

No comments: