Sunday, December 30, 2007

Catching Up: The Christmas Edition

This Christmas has been really hectic, and there hasn't been much time to write lately. On the one hand, I always hate having less time to write, and I always regret not getting more reading done. On the other hand, I'm always glad to have time to see friends and family. I have to admit that I know there will be more time to read and to write and that I'd really rather take advantage of being home and being able to see all these people.

Plus, though I live in a cornfield, I never, ever have the opportunity to ride a tractor, and I've gotten to do that while I've been here. I've also gotten pretty good at driving a four-wheeler and pretty accustomed to stomping through mud in a pair of rubber boots while on the farm.

And, while out at the farm, I got to have two Christmas dinners. That's right. I feel pretty ridiculously stuffed, and the fact that I decided to learn how to make bread isn't helping that at all! So far, I've made a few loaves of challah, and now I want to branch out into the world of wheat breads...and then I can drop out of grad school and start my own bakery! ;) Okay, I'm pretty much joking about that.

Other than time on the farm, I got some big-city time in with a trip to Dallas. I visited some friends there and celebrated my friend Joanna's birthday with a yummy brunch and a nice, relaxing pedicure--definitely a change from the farm!

I also got to see how much Joanna's baby has grown. The funny thing is, I was (for one, brief moment) the baby's godfather. It's totally true. I stood in for the real godfather at the baptism because the real godfather had to stay home with his own babies! And so, I can say I was once a godfather.

I plan to write some more about the coming of the new year and all, but I have to say that that weird moment of being a godfather is one of the funniest moments of my life, but it was also a very happy one. To stand there and see this little baby and to think about the hopes that we all have for him, all the possibilities his life holds, it truly was one of the most special moments I've been a part of.

So, it is true that I haven't had time to read or write, but those things happen. There will be time to read and to write. I'm pretty sure neither reading or writing makes it into that passage from Ecclesiastes, but there truly is a time for every purpose under heaven, even those things we never thought we'd do!

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

How wonderful Sara! Vacation is glorious. And so are babies:)

sara said...

Yay for vacation! And yay for babies as well! Especially this one, as he's super cute. Though his new favorite word is "no!" But even that is pretty cute somehow.

Unknown said...

Wow. A godfather, huh? Interesting addition to your life resume. But it really is cool to stand in that moment isn't it - contemplating how much he is loved and doesn't even know it and all the possibilities his life holds (as you said). Precious moments indeed.

I'm gonna call you today. Krista and I wanna know if we can all get together before you go. Maybe Donna can come too??

sara said...

Yes, being a godfather was something I never thought I'd do! But it was very special, and he is just about the cutest baby ever!

And we can definitely get together! It's been super hectic before now, but I'm finally free! :)