Monday, November 20, 2006

Oh, Thanksgiving!

Okay, this is where I admit that I love Thanksgiving. I know, I know. It's not at all right to like T-day anymore. But, I do.

And, here is why. I just like the very idea of being thankful. Of taking one day and being glad about the good things in life and being kind to your family and all of that stuff.

I guess my love of Thanksgiving is that I don't really associate it with anything. I don't feel overly patriotic or thankful for my country or any of that. It's not that I'm opposed to that; I just don't do it. I just feel glad to have my family around and to be able to see them and to, hopefully, manage to cook something that turns out. (fingers crossed, people! this year, it's a cheeseball--very retro and not at all something that goes in the oven. i imagine good things will come of this!)

So, I like Thanksgiving. I like the mad crush at the grocery store, and I like to see shopping carts full of earth-tone and orange foods that we normally never eat. And I like that everyone looks a little crazy at this time of year.

In the words of the icon of domesticity, it's a good thing!

No comments: