Thursday, September 28, 2006

My Endless Love!

As of late, I have fallen in love. A deep, abiding love that will last a lifetime.

Yes, folks, I have become addicted to Last.fm. If you don’t yet know about Last.fm, it is…heavens, I don’t want to oversell here, but…it is the greatest invention of all time. No joke.

I really hope I didn’t falsely raise your hopes. How could I have? Because, until they create chocolate-flavored air, fat-free foods that taste just like the real thing, or a button that can be pushed to bring peace, happiness, and an abundance of glitter to the world, Last.fm will remain my pick for number one invention.

By now you might be wondering, “What is this Last.fm of which she speaks?”

Fair enough, as asserted by the geniuses at Last.fm, it is, “the social music revolution.” To be honest, I am pretty much technologically un-savvy, so I know that there are many layers of Last.fm of which I am ignorant.

However, I do know that Last.fm allows me to input the names of singers/bands that I like, and it will create my own little radio station for me, all on my little Gateway laptop. And, in addition to playing those music selections of mine, it will play music from related artists. If I don’t like a song, I can skip it. No problem.

Unfortunately, it was this need to skip a song that forced me to see that there may be a chink in the armor of my new love, the moment every woman dreads.

It just happened yesterday, as I was listening to my Last.fm. Now, I’ve been in a weird country mood since the other day. Not sure why, but I sure want to hear me some good old country music. So, I input the following list into Last.fm:

“george jones, lucinda williams, george strait, brooks and dunn, lyle lovett, robert earl keen, david allan coe, darryl lee rush, dolly parton, tammy wynette, crystal gayle, Alabama”

Hey, I said it’s a weird mood! And Last.fm was there for me, playing some favorites from Jones, maybe even a little Pride. But, all of a sudden, I heard a strange voice. A woman’s voice. But not my beloved Crystal Gayle or my dear Tammy Wynette. It wasn’t an unfamiliar voice, but it was out of place. I looked at the computer screen.

CHER!

Cher?

Cher.

Sure enough, the greatest invention of all time was playing Cher in the middle of my country mix. I’m not sure how it happened, and I don’t feel completely let down. But I do feel confused and a little hurt.

Nevertheless, I still believe in the ultimate goodness of Last.fm. And, with a lot of TLC and a little counseling, I think we can get through this.

Now, back to listening!

No comments: