Monday, September 25, 2006

Andy Griffith: My Kind of Man

Now, if you've gotten over the initial shock of the title, I hope you'll read on and give me a little chance to explain.

I'm not talking Matlock here, folks. However, I think the man deserves a shout out for fine perfomances there. No, I'm talking The Andy Griffith Show, a show which I am much too young to remember from its original broadcast but which I do recall catching in re-runs when I'd come home from school.

Until a few nights ago, I hadn't watched the show in years. I'm not sure why, but I never really felt like watching when I did my usual late-night scroll through the channels. But, for whatever reason, that catchy, whistly intro got me the other night. Sucked me right in and trapped me for a few hours of Opie trying to feed Dolly the horse and Howard Sprague becoming the town villain after an unfortunate choice of jokes on a television variety show.

Sure, the shows are simple. But they're nice. They're funny in a somewhat goofy kind of way, and the characters are really likeable--even Clara Edwards. And, sure, it may be difficult to judge who delivers a more nuanced portrayal of a small town mechanic (Gomer or Goober), but those two are equally delightful to watch.

Okay, so I'm getting off topic here, and before long, I'll go on to talking about Gomer Pyle, USMC, and then you'll never know about my love of Andy Griffith. Did I just say that? Really? Yes, so it's out. I love Andy Griffith.

Or, more to the point, it's Sheriff Taylor who's won my heart. He's a good guy, a real catch.

I mean, just think of his qualities. He plays guitar. He's sensitive. He protects the public, keeps the peace. He's a man of few words, but he always brings people together. He's a tough guy without being a "tough guy." In short, this man is great.

But maybe, just maybe, I love him because he's in love with a writer. A good guy in love with a writer. How can you not love him for that? Because, as Andy Taylor said to Helen Crump, "I see no reason why a sheriff and a lady author shouldn't get along just fine."

Agreed, Andy Taylor. I see no reason either.

No comments: