Tuesday, February 17, 2009

More Thoughts on Love

If I am honest, I have to admit that I sometimes have a hard time sticking to religious practices. I can be lax about reading my Bible. I probably don't pray as much as I should. I spent most of my life to this point as a non-practicing Christian, so I never really developed those good habits when I was younger. But, really, most of my lack of following religious practices is owing to an inherent laziness. I mean, so long as I'm being honest, I might as well admit to my laziness.

But, oddly enough and despite my laziness, I think about God throughout much of my day. I remember reading somewhere that a relationship with God is something like a young man who is in love for the first time. Though he can't spend every moment with the object of his affection, when he finds a spare moment, his thoughts turn to her. I sort of loved that. I sort of thought it was beautiful.

Lately, in those moments, I've found myself thinking about the enormous love of God. I think of the selflessness of Christ, the unworthiness of us all to receive such love. And yet, well, and yet we do receive that love.

But, what amazes me most is that, in receiving that love of Christ, we are entrusted with the responsibility of showing that love to others. Maybe "responsibility" isn't the right word. "Responsibility" always sounds so forced. I'm responsible for doing all of those mundane tasks that I really don't want to do, like filling out forms for work or jumping through bureaucratic hoops.

It's not that sort of responsibility. To love is an opportunity. We have the opportunity to show Christ's love in a world where love is often hard to come by. Sometimes, I think of the verses from Matthew:

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'[...]'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"

It reminds me of Mother Teresa, speaking of the people she worked with in India. She said that, "Each one of them is Jesus in disguise." And, she once said, "I see God in every human being. When I wash the leper's wounds, I feel I am nursing the Lord Himself. Is it not a beautiful experience?" It's as if, in so many ways throughout our lives, we are given these beautiful opportunities to care for others as we would care for Christ and, in turn, to be the face of Christ to those who so desperately need love. And, if we're really honest, we have to admit that each of us--no matter how smart or rich or beautiful--needs love, longs for it, would do almost anything to have it.

I guess it makes sense that my thoughts of late have revolved around God's love, as I'm realizing that there is no end to it. As I've been writing this, so many things come to my mind, so many ways that I am awed by the enormity of God's infinite love. So many ways that I am grateful that God has given me such a gift as this chance to show love to others. I could say much more, and I probably will on another day. But, right now I will probably go to bed. I may even say a prayer before I fall asleep. A prayer of thanks that God is good, that His love endures forever. Amen.

I love you all so much,

Sara

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Sara, I'm still reading and enjoy your posts so much! Love . . . love is so hard. At least for me. I'm no good at loving. For example, I have a 14 year old sweetheart of a daughter, and this week she's been helping with a musical at our high school. And a few people have been just plain nasty to her--a teenage girl and a woman--and my daughter doesn't complain--she tells me about it with confusion--like, "Why are they treating me this way?" and my reaction isn't to say, "Well, maybe they're having a bad day (every day)" or "Just keep treating them with kindness." My reaction is Mother Bear I want to yell at these people and tell them what I think kinds of reactions. I feel no love. How would I react if someone really hurt her or even murdered her? Love. I don't know how to do it at all. At least not in situations with regular rude people. I feel like I'd do better loving people with leprosy.

sara said...

Oh heavens! Don't be too hard on yourself. You are being loving. You're loving your daughter! But, I know how bad it feels when you just can't feel loving toward certain people. I definitely have to work on it at times. I mean, I teach! That's like dealing with almost 100 different personalities in a day, and I can't say that I always feel loving toward my students. And, I'm sure the feeling is mutual. :) And I totally agree with the last thing you said. It seems like it's hardest to be loving in those daily, annoying, upsetting sort of situations than it would ever be during a real crisis!

Anonymous said...

Sara, Jon is reading, "The Hiding Place," right now, and it seems absurd to me to think of Betsie's (Corrie ten Boom's sister) reaction to those that are causing them such unbearable pain. She is constantly thanking God for different aspects of their imprisonment and never cursing those that hurt her and her family so unduly. She knows God's love in a way that I never have. And she knows how to love in a way that I never have. I would love to love in such a way. I've got much too learn.

And I am blessed to love and know you.

sara said...

Well, thank you so much! :)

I'm so glad Jon's reading that book. The Hiding Place was one of those books that my teacher read to our class when I was little. I loved it, and maybe that's why I've always been a little obsessed with stories about WWII. Did you know that I went to Corrie Ten Boom's house? I'll have to look through my stuff and see if I have any pictures from that visit. It was amazing, and seeing how small a place they hid in was just unreal. I had no idea how small that space was. The woman who gives the tour is really neat, ad there are tours almost everyday. So great that people want to learn about what happened there!

I also bought my dad a little pocket watch at the jewelry store that's where the watch shop was. They have the most beautiful pearls I've ever seen, but I really couldn't afford any of those! :)