Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Snow is Here!

Happiness is a snow day...when you're 28 years old and still a student, specifically when you're 28 and waiting to see if you must-must-must make it to an undergraduate class for which you TA. That has been my morning--looking out the window, wide eyed and amazed at the amount of snow accumulated and the amount of snow still falling. I can't even see my street or tell where the yard stops and where the street begins.

Before moving to the great North, I'd seen some snow. It snowed in my hometown when I was six, and I'd played in the snow a few times when visiting my grandparents at Christmas. But, this is a completely different type of snow. There are these huge, fluffy snowflakes coming down, and I bet I can make a decent snowball out of it when I get my lazy self outside. In fact, I made some snowballs yesterday as I walked to dinner after class, and then I rather pointlessly threw them at nothing or at the trees along the sidewalk. What can I say? I've never had much of a chance to make snowballs, so I take the opportunity when it presents itself.

So, along with getting the chance to make snowballs, this snowy land has introduced me to a whole snowy culture, an entire etiquette built around how to handle the cold weather. I sort of watch cold weather behavior, like an anthropologist studying the habits of an as yet unknown people, and then I replicate the behavior, figuring these people know what they're doing. Like, when you walk into a building, you stomp your feet on the doormat. This sounds silly and obvious, but I never think of snow being dirty, so I wouldn't have done this. From what I can see, stomping your feet on the mat serves a few purposes: 1. It gets rid of excess snow and salt so that you don't harm the floors; 2. It helps you have more traction on slicker floors; 3. Stomping of feet is a cultural practices and to not partake in this cultural practice has the effect of making the non-stomper a cultural Other. Um, okay, maybe number 3 is a bit of a strectch, but I'm not taking any chances. I will stomp.

There are other cold weather things I've learned here as well. For example, many people take their shoes off when going into houses. I have always been a bit anti-taking shoes off. Partly, this is due to being kind of short and feeling vulnerable when some of my height must be checked at the door. So, I just sort of stand in the entryway, all Carrie Bradshaw-like, thinking (while motioning up and down with hand) "BUT! This is an outfit!" True story, I have difficulty with the way fashion becomes the unwitting victim of function in these parts. I'm trying to reconcile this. I find that perusing neimanmarcus.com keeps my brain in check. It is a vain endeavor, but the things are so pretty! And, I figure I"m still being good because I don't actually buy any of it.

Okay, as you can see, a snow day means a lot of writing. I think it might also mean curling up in bed for a little while longer and watching some silly morning shows before getting onto some real work. So, stay warm!

No comments: