Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Recovery

I'm still on the kick of reading about addiction, and I just finished a book by Heather King, Parched.  I read it partly because I read another book by her and pretty well adored it, and I wanted to read about her struggle with alcoholism which she'd talked a bit about in the book I'd already read.

I'm not going to lie.  This book was hard to read.  There were times when it just hurt to read how enslaved she was to her addiction, how it ruled every aspect of her life, how it could have killed her had she not gotten help.

But, the book also reminded me that there is redemption even in the bleakest of circumstances, that there is still some hope of a rebirth of one's spirit.  That maybe there is a chance to recover a life that seems lost.

It's maybe that hope that makes me read these books.  It's that searching out of those people who have been broken and hurt but still seem to almost come back to life.  It's the wonder in seeing that God looks far beyond the surface of each of us--past the addictions and vices and scars--and knows that there is something beautiful in us.  Knows that there is some way, even in our our failings, that we may be a light to others, that we may be Christ's feet and hands here on earth, that we may bring Him glory and honor.

And that's something very beautiful, very hopeful.

Love you much,

Sara

No comments: